The Questionnaire



Person no 1.

Q1.

I     I do. But I am picky about it. I like them because I think they are pretty. I am drawn to feminine things. Flowers are even representative of female genitalia, and it fascinates me because it mirrors the femininity that I want to achieve.

Q2.


1.       I used to know more than I know now. Sadly I can only remember that rose is representative of love and snowdrops are representative of hope. They are actually one of my favourite flowers and that’s why I remember their meaning.


Q3.


    Part of me tells me it is because they are simply pretty. In our culture we were brought to think that we give them to people because we like them and they like it because they think we like them.

Q4.

    In the past I used to give them to people. I think we give them as a gesture for our affection towards them or positivity towards them. We give them to our crush or someone in hospital so they can cheer up. We give them to people who lost someone so they can have something that can look a bit more beautiful for them. It is very human and loving thing to do.  “I am a person with a heart and I give you them because I care”.

Q5.


       I think the reason is the same as if we were giving them to the ones that did not die. We are unable to process the after death. When you are dead there is no reason for beautiful things. When you gone there is nothing left.  As dead person cannot see or feel what is happening around them. A way to make death something people can understand is to give the flowers to the dead. It is for people who are alive. People would be heartbroken if nobody takes care of my body. You give the flowers so you feel respectful to the ones who passed away.

Q.6 

1. love and loss
2. innocent, child
3. death 

Person no 2.

Q1.

No, because I find them a bit boring and effort to keep alive
Q2.

No

Q3.

People like nature and colors

Q4.

They are cheap and colorful

Q5.

I don't know, perhaps the symbolism

Q.6 

1. green
2. summer
3. nice colors

Person no 3.

Q1.

Yes, because flowers boost my mood and they keep bees alive

Q2.

Lily are normally associated with death

Q3.
I think because they are all individual and there are thousandths of varieties/ Flowers are a way of saying "I love you and goodbye"

Q4.
Because they are beautiful and I do buy flowers because it shows that you care and remembered

Q5.
To say goodbye when goodbye is too hard to say out loud.

Q.6 

1.
2.

3. old people

Person no 4.

Q1.
Yes, I love now they look. They are so pretty and make me feel happy

Q2.

I am not sure of any flower meaning apart from a rose - love

Q3.

Beautiful colours, shames and smells

Q4.

I don't often buy flowers myself because I get sad seeing them die. I enjoy having them though and would buy them for somebody else as a present

Q5.

To symbolise our love for the person who passed away. To decorate their grave with a visual representation of the joy and love throughout their life through colours and arrangements etc.

Q.6 

1. threes
2. fields
3. Water

Person no 5.

Q1.

Yes, makes me happy.

Q2.

No

Q3.

The type may have sentimental value

Q4.

To show appreciation

Q5.

Show our respect

Q.6 

1. nature
2. summer
3. growth and aging


Person no 6.

Q1.

Yes, reminds me of summer

Q2.

No

Q3.

Different colours, represent different things shows differentiality (i have no clue what that word means)

Q4.

Show you they think about them, appreciation

Q5.

Show respect

Q.6 

1. natural beauty
2. summer
3. 

Person no 7.

Q1.

Yes, makes you feel happy, summery

Q2.

No

Q3.

Photogrpahy, draw them

Q4.

To show appreciation for them

Q5.

Shows respect

Q.6 

1. nature, life
2. summer
3. growth


Person no 8.

Q1.

Yes, because they can improve the look of a garden

Q2.

no

Q3.

The different colours

Q4.

To show love for them

Q5.

To show respect

Q.6 

1. nature
2. summer
3.love

Person no 9.

Q1.

Yes, because they look good

Q2.

No

Q3.

Because they can be colourful

Q4.

For decoration

Q5.



Q.6 

1.nature
2.life
3.love

Person no 10.

Q1.

Yes, they look pretty

Q2.

No

Q3.

They may like the bright colours

Q4.

To show we care

Q5.

As a mark of respect

Q.6 

1.
2. sunshine
3.


Person no 11.

Q1.

Yes, because they are pretty. I do not like having them in my house because they need attention and i am lazy

Q2.

No

Q3.

Bright colours, beautiful shape, nice smell

Q4.

To show we value them, so they can act as a physical representation of our love

Q5.

As a symbol of love, to make the sad bearable

Q.6 

1.
2. happiness, health
3.love, romance


Person no 12.

Q1.

Yes, because they look nice

Q2.

Daisy - death

Q3.

The colours and smell

Q4.

I do not buy flowers

Q5.

To show respect

Q.6 

1.nature
2.death
3.beauty

Person no 13.

Q1.

Yes, they are beautiful and decorative. I like that there is so many different types made up of different shapes and colours

Q2.

I do, therefore i know that different flowers can be used for different occasions

Q3.

I think that they are aesthetically pleasing, the colour and scent are appealing, they are symbolic across the cultures

Q4.

For special occasions such as a thank you or in a romantic gesture. I do not buy flowers because I do not keep them for myself and they are also too expensive

Q5.

As a sympathetic gesture. they are decorative and for respect

Q.6 

1. growt, neautrality
2. summer, happiness
3.friendship

Person no 14.

Q1.

Yes , they are nice to look at and they remind me of summer

Q2.

No

Q3.

Color and shape as well as the smell

Q4.

Shows appreciation and they are ice to have in the house as a decoration

Q5.

To show respect

Q.6 

1.nature
2.summer, connection
3. growth and aging, old people, life


Person no 15.

Q1.

Yes, they look nice and they brighten my mood

Q2.

Tulips - Amsterdam
Rose - England

Q3.

They look nice and remind people of summer

Q4.

People like flowers

Q5.

It represent life - growing and then dying

Q.6 

1.healing
2.simple
3.romance

Person no 16.

Q1.

So - so, some flowers are nice

Q2.

No, rose - England

Q3.

Some people like them because they brighten the mood

Q4.

I only buy them for other people because I know they like them

Q5.

It cheers people up

Q.6 

1.healing
2. youth
3. romance


Person no 17.

Q1.

Yes, the diversity in shape and colour make them great as garden decoration 

Q2.

I do know that, but i cannot remember any

Q3.

Same thing i said in question no. 1

Q4.

There is a large selection of them and they are beautiful

Q5.

They are symbolic and they can build a certain atmosphere

Q.6 

1.
2.
3.


Person no 18.

Q1.

No, annoying to maintain

Q2.

yes

Q3.

people like the nature and the colours

Q4.

Commercialism/capitalism

Q5.

About rebirth

Q.6 

1.wholesome
2.warmth/summer
3.romance



From the questionnaire I picked up some important information:
- romance
-summer
-nice/pretty
-colors/bright colors/questionare on colors
-shapes
-happy
- nature
- yes to "do you like flowers"
- beautiful 
- do not know the meanings


Looking at the answers, majority of the people do not know about the meanings of flowers.  Some knew something like that exist but they were unable to give any examples. I could possibly use it as an advantage, where I do not have to have all of the flowers symbolic to what I am trying to show through the video, since the content itself will be quite self-explanatory.
I still want to show some of the flowers that means something specific, because that is what my work is like - I focus on the small details that construct the deeper meaning within my work; a message that I am trying to send visually to my audience. Do I feel like  I should explain the meaning of these flowers somehow to my audience? No. I want them to look at my work and consider the possibility of the flowers telling them something. That way they will think about my work for longer. They may even go back home and look at the meanings of these flowers. That is my aim.



Majority said that flowers are pretty, that they are nice or beautiful and that they remind them of summer and love.  
Through the response I guessed that the idea of flowers being beautiful is their bright colours. 
It made me think that maybe I should also look at the colours of the flowers and the meaning behind different colours. Maybe the use of colours will stimulate the audience's perception of my work more than the actual flowers. 

I want to look at different studies on colours, and why we like or dislike certain colours. I will pick a couple of colours and ask people why they like them and what they remind them off. I also want to go further with it and find some old paintings of flowers, some modern art paintings of flowers and finally photographs of them. I am going to make sure that different images have different saturation and vibrance of the colours to see if they prefer darker or brighter colours. 

You can see the questionnaire and the answers here: http://unit8annaolesinska.blogspot.co.uk/2018/04/the-study-of-colour.html

That way I will know how to edit my photographs and if I can add some light effect with the use of different tones such as yellow or purple. (I would use two or more colours. Some would be warm, but there always would have to be a cold one as well to make the contrast more vibrant and visual appealing). 

Let me show you how colours work:

We have our Primary, Secondary and Tertiary Colours.

All of the secondary and tertiary colours are based on the primary colours, meaning every possible shade of the primary colour will become the secondary and tertiary colour, because the change in primary colours will also lead to creating a new colour. It also means that primary colours cannot be created by using different colours. They are the solid base for all the possible variations.


These are usually presented in a circle and on the middle of that circle we can draw lines that link colours that face each other like so:


So here we can see that blue is parred with orange, purple with yellow and red with green.
These pairs are called : complementary colours.

What it means is that if I mix these colours together they will create either white or black colour. They will create a solid, pure colour, therefore they are aesthetically pleasing when parred together.
Another thing is that they are both either cold or warm colour.



"Warm colours advance and cool colours recede, affecting the perception of depth. This theory is based upon that fact that the eye adjusts when focusing on colours of different wavelengths. Red light waves have a longer wavelength than blue ones. An image containing both cool and warm colours would demonstrate contrast of temperature or warm/cool contrast creating more complex relationships between the colour (warm colours can read cooler against a higher intensity warm colours and cool colours sometimes can advance against predominately warm palette)."

https://cios233.community.uaf.edu/design-theory-lectures/color-theory/

That means that using both cold and warm colours together, and if these are complementary with each other, the image will get the needed depth and realistic look to it. It will be greatly, visually pleasing.

Using that theory, and the things i found out about people liking bright colours, I can edit my photographs in a way that they will become more pleasant to look at. I can also mix the colours, because some of them, even though they are not complementary, can still look interesting together. The difference is that, the complementary would be more satisfying to look at.


                                  








Complementary colours - green and red                               Complementary colours - orange and blue 
Cold colour - green, Warm colour - red                                Cold colour - blue, Warm colour - orange











Not complementary colours - orange and purple            Not complementary colours - green and blue
Cold colour - purple, warm colour - orange                    Cold colour - green, cold colour - blue


I am also happy with people connecting flowers with positive things when thinking about flowers. It means that I can basically use it against them. I can challenge their perception and turn positive into negative. 

I can look at things like:

1. children - horror film   - shining 

2. hospitals in horror 
3. police - get out 
4. roses - alice in wonderland  symbol of love becomes symbol of oppression 
5. Christmas is bad because animals will die - book babe the sheep pig
6. banksy - dismaland 
7. dont hug me i am scared - puppet
8. neon demon
9. black mirror  - nosedive 

These are things that are positive but are shown as something negative, which makes them unnatural, creepy and uncomfortable.


1. Horror films and children


▼△

Children are seen as innocent creatures who cannot harm us, who are a bit clumsy and who are not very smart either. They way too young to understand many things and to behave in a certain way. For example a child would not stay calm and serious for the whole time. They also would not attack us, hoping to harm us - at least we hope so. 

When we see these small humans acting abnormal; if they suddenly become very silent and serious, we get worried, if they are suddenly very strong, we are surprised by it. 

Seeing such behavior in horror films, we feel uncomfortable and sometimes even scared.  


theydo not die- stephan king

The Bad Seed
the omen
the boy
goes to toys and fear of them
https://www.colorpsychology.org/flower-color-meanings/

http://uk.businessinsider.com/why-horror-films-scary-fear-neuroscience-psychology-2016-10 


























































































































Comments