Shoot log (water)

Friday the 20th of April 2018

1) Date/programme title/location:
 

"Parasite Appetency" was filmed at the TV Studio located in City College Norwich on Friday the 20th of April 2018 

2) My role:

 During the shoot I was the camera operator, art director (location, props and costume) and director. The only person with me was my model. 


3) Key storylines captured & characters: 


During the shoot on Friday, I filmed all the bad/scary parts of the Water chapter. These include: destroying a book, cutting flowers, self-harm with a model.

4) How has this affected the overall direction of the content?


Everything filmed that day was pre-planned. Of course some of the shoots were slightly different to the initial planning, but the main context remain the same. There was nothing that changed the content completly or influenced future plans.
 

5) What do we need to capture at the next shoot? 

The next shoot takes place at 2 Pumps House NR5 5HW Norwich starting 11am till 5pm. I will record the rest of the footage for the film as well as take photogrpahs for the chapter.
 
6) How well did the shoot go?

I believe that the shoot went very well. At first my model was getting late because of the traffic, however we made it before the deadline which was 3pm the same day. I set up the location by hiding the green screen with black material. I placed a white box on the middle of the studio and I covered it (as well as the floor aroundnd it) with more black material. I placed one light on far left side, slightly facing the back wall, to make the light less harsh (i did not have anything to place in front of the light to make it softer). Then I used the props and with the help of the model, I destroyed the book and flowers. These were very interesting shoots, because I got to experiment with depth of field, size of the shot (close ups, extreme close ups etc.) as well as the source of destruction such as water, fake blood and wind. All of these went very well and left me with lots of different footage, which I can then experiment lots with. Working with model went also very well. Both of us stayed focused. I presented to her the character I wanted her to become, telling her about the emotions she is filed with. She steyed in that character at all times, which allowed me to record a beautiful footage. I directed her, and she was always trying her best to perform the way I asked her to. It was a great team work which allowed me to collect lots of usefull footage with the message I was trying to tell through it.

7) How could we improve? 



I still feel like I could direct my model better. When filming I am often drifting away in my own mind, focusing on what I am doing. Therefore I am forgeting to tell my model how well she is doing. I feel like it is something I should do more often. I would also like to improve on using the tripod. I absolutelly hate it, but it may be due to using quite broken equipment. That way I was forced to use lots of hand held, but I was fine with it. It actually made my footage look more uncomfortable and creepy. In the future I would like to polish my skills in using that technique, so my shots are shaky enough and they do not look terrible or blurry.
Saturday the 21st of April 2018

1) Date/programme title/location:
 

"Parasite Appetency" was filmed in 2 Pumps House NR5 5HW Norwich on Saturday the 21st  of April 2018.

2) My role:

 During the shoot I was the camera operator, art director (location, props and costume) and director. The only person with me was my model. 


3) Key storylines captured & characters: 

During the shoot on Saturday, I filmed all the positive parts of the Water chapter as well as took photogrpahs for the chapter. These include: flowers in the bathfroom, bath filling with water, candles, book, sound of water, model in the bathtube. 



4) How has this affected the overall direction of the content?

Everything filmed that day was pre-planned. Of course some of the shoots were slightly different to the initial planning, but the main context remain the same. There was nothing that changed the content completly or influenced future plans. 


5) How well did the shoot go? 

 At first it was really hard to get into the "mood". It felt like I cannot get the things right. I did not like the light, angles or camera movements. It all felt wrong. With time I started getting it all to work. I think it is due to never filming in such setting before. Finally I got it to work. I got what I needed and I also made some experimentation with using different objects in front of the camera or using a plastic box where I placed the camera, co I could under the water footage. I really liked how the light did not only made the footage look warm with yellow and pinky tone, but also made it look quite retro, which is also a part of my asthetic. 

The photoshoot went also quite well. My model remembered what I asked her to be like the day before. She steyed focused and in character at all times. She listened to my directions and therefore I could get very interesting photogrpahs. I tried to make links between this photos and the footage I filmed the same day and day before. The same model, angles and depth of field as well as the use of wate, flowers and fake blood made the link between all of the things that I recorded, which allowed me to make the Chapter as one, not confusing piece. 

6) How could we improve?  

I still feel like I could direct my model better. When filming I am often drifting away in my own mind, focusing on what I am doing. Therefore I am forgeting to tell my model how well she is doing. I feel like it is something I should do more often. I would also like to improve on using the tripod. I absolutelly hate it, but it may be due to using quite broken equipment. That way I was forced to use lots of hand held, but I was fine with it. It actually made my footage look more uncomfortable and creepy. In the future I would like to polish my skills in using that technique, so my shots are shaky enough and they do not look terrible or blurry. 
  




 Here I tried different bubbles to see which one works the best for the aesthatic look. I used pink and purple one, and then I decided to mix them together. They looked very nice, but since I had some food colouring left, I also added that. It made the bath look pink, which was the [erfect colour, considering the yellow and pink tone that the light gave to the footage.








Here is how the bathrube looked like, all decorated and ready for the shoot. I used different flowers, bathbomb and bubbles. I placed the candles on a side as well as the book. I also found some star sptrinkles, which I decided to add to make it all look more special and magical. Stars are also my favorite shape, which works with my aesthatic. 

 
 





Here is the placement of the light. The bathroom was tiny. What I was doing was, placing it in front of the bahttube and move it closer or futher away from it, depending on the shadows I wated to get. 

 Add the video 

Comments