Chapter one: Water (planning and research)


 The inspiration

The first and basic explenation of my inspiration can be found here - http://unit8annaolesinska.blogspot.co.uk/2018/04/the-plan.html 

The photogrpahs, were not the only thing that inspired me to make this film and photohoot. There was another video that was very important in the process of developing my idea. 


▼△


I have seen this video a very long time ago, but I thought about it when I was looking at the bath photogrpahs. 

Here we have a bath with possibly milk and flowers, which looks absolutely beautiful. We also have the nice soundtrack, which is not me coping the video. I just really like vintage as well. 


 






These shots are things that I would like to try. The nice close up to the flowers to focus on the small details and the great shot, possibly filmed with the camera in a plastic container, to show the water line just slightly in front of the lense is something I would like to try as well.

Other than that, there is nothing technically that I am gonna follow from this film. The light is too bight and soft. I am going for more evening light. I am also going to use candes, so I need more yellowish tone (possibly added in post-production) to make the image softer and warmer.

Water is the first chapter in my book and it is a very important chapter. Some may think that Fire  talks about the lowest point, because it is about burning, but really Water  is the chapter where I show how I hit the ground. When it gets to the worst part it gets very calm, because it is like you made your decision and you know what to do.

You sort your things out and get ready. I am showing that through this beautifully prepered bath with flowers and bathbombs, that in the past you would not waist your time or money for. And you listen to your favorite song and you decide to do it. To die.

In the past I atempted suicide by drowning. This is why this chapter is so important. I do not want to leave it for the end, because as I said, my message is to show that suicide is not the only option. There is help and there is hope and we should keep on fighting.

I feel like showing this powerful image, I will grab all the attention I need. And I feel like it will not be as powerful as people think until they see the rest of Parasite Appetency. Because silence and calmness are the ones we should fear. Not the anger. Anger means that we are alive and that we are fighting. Silence means something opposite to it.

The film will give some visual clues to what is actually happening to this person's mind and body. It will not show that the person dies, because as I said, I do not want to show that. It is terrfiying. I want people to understand how scarry and important it is. I want them to see that depression is not something that we can easly deal with, but that we can still deal with it and fight it.

I am talking about all the glitches and creepy soundtrack and what will actually happen in that dark room as well as the red bath bomb at the end of the film.

Lets break it down:

1. Flowers 

Floweres are there, because they are a great part of me. I love them and they had to be there. 
Flowers and plants in general are assocaited with many different things and they have lots of different uses as well as meanings. They can be treated badly or with love and respect, and it will influence their grownth. They can be used as medicine to save lifes as well as poison to kill. In that sense, they remind me a lot of humans. 

For my video, I wanted to focus on the hidding meanings of the flowers. For that I did not go straight online, but I asked my grandmother who has her own garden for many years now. She knows almost everything about flowers, what they are for and what is their meaning. 

She listed a couple that I could use. 

Tagetes
meaning - closness, destinity
 







Aster
meaning -  I am happy, knowing that you are loved, I love you more than you love me








Periwinkle 
meaning - good memories
 









Lilac 
meaning - I keep thinking about you, first love





Pansy
 meaning - lets be friends










Cornflower
 meaning - I won't tell you about my feelings










Chrysanthemum
 meaning - be my love











Cyclamen
 meaning - hidden love, I dream about you 











Delia
 meanning - dangerous pleasure










Violet
 meaning - I think about you a lot, I am sad without you







Phlox
 meaning - you are unlucky
















Forsythia 
meaning - the storm of emotions, the voice of destinity 










Freesia
meaning - give me your love, you are the only one, your presence makes me happy
 


 


 Gazenia
 meaning - cereful with exposing your feelings










Gerbera
 meaning - the deep feelings










Heliotrope
 meaning - love makes me happy









Hydrangea
 meaning - jelousy







Iris
 meaning - I want to tell you something










 Jasmine
 meaning - attachment, sensuality










Mistletoe
 meaning - kiss me






Lily of the Valley
 meaning - I want to make you happy







Crocus
 meaning - give me yourself










Gillyflower
 meaning - you are amazing







Daisy
 meaing - you are hurting me









Gladiolus
 meaning - I will keep on fighting, you stole my heart






Coreopsis
 meaning - hope










 Tickseed
 meaning - you are braking my heart









  
Geraniums
meaning - disappintment, I desire happiness








Bindweed
 meaning - embrace me







Primula
 meaning - you are the one I love









Rose 
meaning - I love you, I cant live without you, you are playing with my feelings










These flowers are associated with love or the lack of it. I want to buy some of them to give my work greater meaning. I am sadly afraid that I will not be able to purchase all of them due to the low budget. I will however try to pick the most important ones up as well as add some extra ones that do not arry sigificant meaning to the story, just so there are some flowers, which are so important for this chapter.

The most important ones:
1. Aster
2, Lilac
3. Chrysanthemum
4. Freesia
5. Gezania
6. Gerbera
7. Hydrangea
8. Mistletoe
9. Crocus
10. Daisy
11. Coreopsis
12. Tickseed
13. Primula
14. Rose

The ones I HAVE to have:
 why, meanings, meaning around the world
1. Chrysanthemum -https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=813
2. Gerbera
3. Mistletoe
4. Daisy
5. Coreopsis
6. Rose

I have also asked Micheal Perry who we worked with in the past, who is known for his great knowladge on palnts, about these flowers.  
Sadly he did not reply. 

I wanted to 



































 https://mrplantgeek.com/

From there I wanted to move on onto learining about the orygins of the language of flowers. I first started with the term floriogrpahy which then led me to Vivtorian Era. I wanted to understand where the whole idea comes from, because I feel like without that knowladge I would not be really albo to understand what I am doing. It could also give me a greater idea for what I want to show in my film.

Floriography
http://termcoord.eu/2014/04/floriography-language-flowers/

Floriogrpahy is the language of flowers.  It was developed in 17th century by concubine women. They were unable to write or read. Flowers were the way for them to communicate with each other as if they were sending each other letters. 

Lady Mary Wortley Montagu (1689 - 1762)


She is remembered as excellent writer and poet, also feminist and traveller. She eloped with Edward Wortley Montagu (an ambassador to Turkey since 1716). She fall for Italia artist Francesco Algarotti, whom could not be with her. Since she travelled around the world, lying to her friends and husband that she is doing it for health reasons. She spend many years with different people in different places, writing books and poetry. After her husband’s death she eventually came back to England.

“Lady Mary’s literary reputation chiefly rests on 52 superb Turkish embassy letters, which she wrote after her return as the ambassador’s wife in Constantinople, using her actual letters and journals as source material. The letters were published in 1763 from an unauthorized copy and were acclaimed throughout Europe”.
 




From these letters we could learn about the “Secret Language of Flowers” which she learned about back in Turkey. 

 Louise Cortambert, aka Madame Charlotte de la Tour (1729 – 1763)



She was anoother one to be interested in the subject. In 1819, she published a first ever written dictionary of flower language. The book quikcly become popular especially among Vivotrian women whose strick manners would not allow to talk openly about their thought and emotions. The silent language of flowers become a perfect escape from these rules.











https://archive.org/details/languageofflower00unse 

Here I can see that some of the flowers that I want to use in my film, had different meaning to what they have now. For example Daisy meant "gentle" and rose meant "submmisive". I considered looking for meaning of the flowers from the past, however I do not think that people would really understand them. Using lowers like rose with its todays meaning will be encoded the way I want my audience to encode it.


The silent language of flowers and the Victorian Era


(1837 - 1901) During that period, the upper class and the middle class were expected to behave in a certain way. There was a set of rules called etiquette that had to be followed for the proper manner and politness. 
During these times, people from middle class could only talk to those from upper class if they were introduced to the ritcher. Upper class could talk to middle class, but usualy they would not. Sharing some topisc or opinnions even in the same class were sonsidered taboo and were left unspoken. 

That is when the language of flowers become so handy. Moreove, the strick rules, could not walk by the flower language and leave it by. Even such releafe in sharing emotions and thoughts, was turned int oset of rules, where every aspect of each flower, the way in was given and presented, meat something else. 

John Ingram published his book around 1820. "Flora Symbolica" included meaning of single flowers and the etiquette of giving them. 



 






 https://archive.org/details/florasymbolicaor00ingr


Tussie-Mussie Tussie-mussies were the Victorian bouquets, highly decorated with lace and specyfic colors, to provide the massage with a clear meaning. Even reciving them had rules to it. For example, holding it by heart ment acceptance of the message, but holding hem down meant rejection.


















Another important bookduring the Victorian Era was "The Language of Flowers" published in 1884. Jean Marish was the content creator. They worked along side with the illustrator Kate Greenaway. The book was published in London and soon become a guide for upper class.


Sadly a lot of these meaning changed or have been forgotten. The cultural and regional differences also changed their meaning over the time.

https://www.proflowers.com/blog/floriography-language-flowers-victorian-era

Sending and giving flowers nowadays

I wanted to look at modern days and why we actually send flowers to each other. There is not as much meaning behind it as it used to be, but people still buy buteques for their loved ones, to show their love or to apologise. They also buy flowers, simply because they cannot think of any better gift. Moreover, flowers are assocaited with love, romantisism and beauty. 

Today many people do not think about the meaning of flowers. The most popular are roses, which are commonly use to show the love to the person reciving them or to apologise for a mistake.
Flowers are given as a gift, due to their beauty. They may not last for too long or be practical, however they are for sure showing the emotional support or thoughts assosaited with the person reciving the flowers. It is also very accesable for us to buy a bouquets and often easier than thinking about possible gift.

Some of the events and occasions expect reciving flowers more than the other, which comes from cultural traditions as well as the Victorian Era. For example lovers expect flowers on Valentine day, mothers expect them on Mothers Day and Family expect them on funerals for the loved ones that passed away.

Because now flowers mean love and carring, we send them to people whom we love. The tradition of giving such gits comes from Rome. Emperor Claudius II said that a solder is better without a wife. He made marriage for youg men illegal. Valentine - a young priest did not agree with that decision and was giving secret marriages, which was then discovered by the emperor. Before the execution, the priest was kept in jail where he fall for a jailer’s daughter. Just before his death, he wrote a love letter to her which was signed “From Your Valentine” He was executed on 14th of February which is today celebrated as lovers day to celebrate the St Valentine.

https://www.proflowers.com/blog/the-history-of-valentines-day

Why do we like flowers

I believe that we like flowers because are colorful, they have incredible shapes and some of them smell beautifully. 
In the past the blooming flowers meant that the fruits are about to show up, therefore it meant - food. Bright colors catch our attention, because they may be read as danger or sign of food or safety. 


Flowers and herbs were used as food and madicine. They were used as seccret messages and gifts. With time we learned to appriciate their beauty. 

Instead of looking it up oline, I decided to look arounf the college to ask people.

Question no 1.
Do you like flowers? Why yes/not?
Question no 2.
Did you know about the meanings behind different flowers? For example, rose means love in the flower language. Do you know any yourself?
Question no 3.
Why do other people like flowers? What is it about them that they are considered beautiful?
Question no 4.
Why do we buy flowers for our loved ones? Do you buy them yourself? Why?
Question no 5.
Why do we buy flowers for the funerals?
Question no 6.
Can you assume these flower’s meaning?


I want to ask these questions, because I want to understand what my target audience thinks of flowers. I feel like the easiest way to know why people like flowers is simply asking them. 

The questionnaire: 










Results:

Look here: http://unit8annaolesinska.blogspot.co.uk/2018/04/the-questionnaire.html
I made a separate post, so it is not confusing here.


Different cultures, different meanings

In different cultures, different colors, numbers and words have different meanings. Perfect example can be the exaggeration. For example in Europe some people believe that if a black cat crosses your road you will be unlucky. In Japana however it is believed that the white cat will bring you unluck. 

Japan also carries a beautiful system of wrting called Hiragana and Kanji. The symbols carry multiple meanings. They may be single words or a whole expressions. 

A lot of the believes comes from the different meaning of different symbols. For example: 

"In Japan, however, you should never give a sick person a potted plant. A potted plant takes root, and the Japanese expression for “taking root” is 根付く, pronounced “nezuku.” The problem here is that there is a homonym “nezuku” (written 寝付く), which means “staying in bed.”  

https://www.livinglanguage.com/blog/2017/03/21/the-meaning-of-flowers-cultural-traditions-in-giving-flowers/

The meaning of flowers is also associated with colors and their meanings. The difference can be see very clear in West and East cultures. In West color black is associated with death, where on East white is the color to be assosiated with death. 

http://screipttoscreen.blogspot.co.uk/2018/01/bereavmentgrief-counselling.html

In Arab culture, white and light colored flowers are also given on ocasions of birth, engagement or marriag. However in Germany, white flowers are given on funereals. 

Flowers assosiated with death:

Marigold - a flower representative of grief

Carnations, Roses, and Tulips - in western culture, commonly used at funerals

Yellow and white flowers - those are used in east cuture for the funeral. Red and other bright colours are seen as colours of joy. 

http://www.flowermeaning.com/flower-of-death/

Lily - associated with funural services

Flowers commonly used for funerals: 
  • Gladioli
  • Carnations
  • Chrysanthemums
  • Orchid plant
  • Hydrangea plant
  • Daffodils 

About 13,700 years ago people used flowers in the graves for their loved ones. They placed them undertheah of the body, however we still do not know why they did that.  
https://sublimewales.wordpress.com/material-culture/buildings/churchyards/flowers-on-graves/flowers-on-graves-ancient-traditions/

https://www.livescience.com/37881-ancient-grave-flowers-unearthed.html


poisonous flowers: 
Flowers used on graves - early people, why, different cultures like celtic http://www.victoriana.com/VictorianPeriod/mourning.htm
poisonous flowers:


why  William Shakespeare, Jane Austen, the Bronte sisters, and many others – all used the language of flowers in their writings. Most famous for its use of daffodils is probably William Wordsworth’s poem ‘I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud’. So when red roses mean love, what then does the Daffodil stand for?”

using flowers in wicca / herbs 
ggrave in water - vikings
junji ito - river
tortures with water
2. Bath bomb

3. Candles

4. A book

5. Bathtube

- I already explained it. 







Dying by drowning:
how a person ready to die acts:



soundtracks


analyse poems

inspiration in depth
roses in adams family


Arists:

1. Slevin Aaron
http://slevinaaron.tumblr.com/ 
https://slevinaaron.weebly.com/about.html

His work is based on human emotios, which is a very important part of my work. I focused mostly on his bath/water photogrpahs, since it is something I am also going for, however he has done other projects which inspired me towards other of my chapters.



http://slevinaaron.tumblr.com/post/144391083739

These photographs focus only on the model face as if it was a mask floating on the milky water. I like it, because it makes her personality very visible, exposed; it makes her look fragile and unable to protect herself. The plants around her seem to protect her and they add the fragility and beauty to the whole image. I especially looked at these, because I wanted to take a couple of photographs, where you can only see parts of my model, to show how delicate and fragile she is. The milky colour of water also emphasizes that. 

I tried to look for the meaning behind these photogtpahs, howeverthe artist did not write anything aboutthem Therefore I allowed myself to interpretate this work as I wished.

Very simialar: Candice Ghai, produces photogrpahs of models, showing only ther faces in a milky water. They are both covered by flowers and the message of the photogrpahs is preety much the same to me as it was with Slevin Aaron.















I have looked at other aritsts on pinterest that I have taken photogrpahs in such enviroment and sadly they all looked pretty much the same to me. I could not see anything unique in them.
I decided to compose a mood board of them, to give me some kind of inspiration when taking photogrphs.

During my Independent Client project, I helped my friend with hers. She was filming a photogrpaher while a photoshoot. I saw that she was on pinterest looking at her previous work and work of others, similar to hers to get inspiration. I decided to do basycally the same.


I also looked at some wet portrait photogrpahy, but all of the images seemed preety much sexualised.


https://www.pinterest.co.uk/search/pins/?q=wet%20portrat%20photography&rs=typed&term_meta[]=wet%7Ctyped&term_meta[]=portrat%7Ctyped&term_meta[]=photography%7Ctyped

Unable to find anything interesting that was linked with water I decided to look at some of the best portrait photogrpahers. 

1. Annie Leibovitz 



 She was born on October 2, 1949, in Waterbury, Connecticut. She worked for Rolling Stone, Vanity Fair, American Express and more. She is best known for her celebrity portrait photographs. She photographed people like John Lennon with his wife, Demi Moore, Whoopi Goldberg, Rodin and Caitlyn Jenner, Sylvester Stallone and more. She published two books: Women (1999) and American Music (2003).
Annie Leibovitz uses soft light and strong flash. Her models are mostly placed in positions which remind of paintings.  Her photos seem to tell a story. They do not seem still but like there is a hidden movement that she captured. Like a perfect moment; she focuses on the outer image.
I love her photos because they have a lot of depth and minimalism that allows to capture only the most important parts.  It is more like reading a poem rather than reading a whole book.
I also like her use of negative space. I could use it as the story that is told about the subject that is shown.

2. Steve McCurry


 Born in Philadelphia, Steve McCurry went to India where he learned how to take photos. He covered areas of international and civil conflict. It includes:  Beirut, Cambodia, the Philippines, the Gulf War, the former Yugoslavia, Afghanistan, and Tibet. He does not only focus on the war’s impact on the landscape, but its impact on people. He captures their emotions and thoughts through his portraits.

McCurry has published books including The Imperial Way (1985),
Monsoon (1988),
Portraits (1999),
South Southeast (2000),
Sanctuary(2002),
The Path to Buddha: A Tibetan Pilgrimage (2003),
Steve McCurry (2005),
and Looking East (2006).

I love his photographs because of their powerfulness. McCurry draws the attention to people eyes and those eyes are filled with the messages that he wants to get through. Those may look simple, but for sure they are screaming.
The focus that goes to the subject catches the attention. I would like to do something smilar with my own work .I could maybe focus on the face, leaving the flowers beind, so people can read the emotions off my model's face.

3. Dorothea Lange




Dorothea Lange was born Dorothea Nutzhorn on May 26, 1895, in Hoboken, New Jersey.  She is mostly photographing native Americans. Around 1935, Lange documented rural hardships by taking photograph of people she met.
During “World War II, Lange was hired by the Office of War Information (OWI) to photograph the internment of Japanese Americans. In 1945, she was employed again by the OWI, this time to document the San Francisco conference that created the United Nations.” (https://www.biography.com/people/dorothea-lange-9372993).
She wanted her work to provoke. She used dramatic angles and dynamic compositions. In contrast to Steve Mc Curry, Dorothea Lange used the photos to represent her emotions and thoughts, yet she captured the emotions of her subjects in a powerful way, that yes, provokes to think and to remember.  


4. Yousuf Karsh




Yousuf Karsh was born on December 23, 1908 in Mardin, Ottoman Empire. He is best known for his portraits of important people in politics, Hollywood, and the arts. He photographed people such as Albert Einstein, Sir Winston Churchill, Walt Disney or Grace Kelly.
M9ost of his photographs are in black and white. He focused a lot on the lightning and they position of his subjects. He wanted to use their body language to represent who they are. The subject’s personality and behaviour would be the inspiration on a day of shooting, which guided Karsh to take his photographs in a specific way. He was very patient. He was carefully watching his subjects, waiting for a perfect moment, emotion written on their face, to take a photo.
I think that the way he was taking his photos was very mature and very sensitive. Taking photos is capturing a moment forever. It is important to remember the most important part of this moment and Karsh knew exactly how to do it.

5. Richard Avedon 





Richard Avedon was born on May 15, 1923 in New York City. He first worked for the Merchant Marines, however he moved on to shooting for Harper's Bazaar and Vogue.
He photographed people like President Dwight D. Eisenhower, Marilyn Monroe, Bob Dylan and The Beatles. 
Richard Avedon changed a little bit the whole genre of fashion photography. He showed that it is not just about selling the product, but also about the mood and the composition of the photo that the costumer will desire. He believed that the relationship between him and the subject influences the outcome. He took deep and emotive photos, which printed out large were seen as a form of an expressive art. The close up was used not only to introduce the viewer to the details but to allow them to get into a personal space of the photographed subject.
 
StoryBoard 

1. Title Sequence - the vintage countdown
2. Title Sequence - the vintage countdown, the exhibition title appears, the music starts playing (soundbridge from 1 to 2)
3. Title Sequence - the vintage countdown, the exhibition title disapears
4. Title Sequence - the vintage countdown, the chapter title appears
5. Title Sequence - the the vintage countdown dips into black/footage from the film, the soundtrack continues to 6 and onwards
6. Title disapears - the title of the chapter disappears and we can see extreme close up of one of the flowers in the bathroom. I am probably gonna make it blurry at first and bring the focus to the closest flower. The soundtrack continues.
7. We can see the bath being filled with water. Extreme close up/close up to te watter leaving the tap. The soundtrack continues.
8. Close up to the view on the water from the tap reaching the water, drowing the flowers. The soundtrack continues.
9. Extreme close up to the flower, hit by the water. The image strts glitching and so does the soundtrack. Then we can her underwater sound. (soundbridge to 10)
10. Creepy soundtrack with black background. Flowers being kept upside down. The person holding them is out of the frame. One of the flowers has its head cut off. The image flashes onto another flower being cut and so on, until there are only the stalks left. The flashing images may have black screen for 0.1 second between them or not. The creepy soundstrack continues. The flushes continue through 11 and 12. 
POSSIBLE -add extra extreme close ups to the head of the flower being cut off







13. From 10-12 we glitch back to the nice setting. We show the bathtub with the water in it, the flowers, but we kinda focusing on the edge of it with candles and a book laying on it. The vintage soundtrack goes back.
14. We show close ups and extreme cose ups of the candles and the book. The image starts to glitch as so does the soundtrack. The soundtrack changes (sound bridge to 15)
15. Creepy soundtrack with black background. We can see a book in balanced shot. Creepy soundtrack in the background.
16. Extreme close up to one of the corners of the book being set on fire. The very same creepy soundtrack in the background.
17. A view on the whole book being on fire. Image flashes with close ups of pages slowely burning. It will probably end with the view on the whole book being on fire. The image glitches back to the nice location - 18
18. Mix of close ups and extreme close ups on the bath bomb disolving in the water. Vintage soundtrack in the background. Image glitches onto 19
19. the black background and everything else around. Actress sits on he table where all the other props were placed. You can see her face and she does not move. The camera gets closer to her. And the image flashes to the camera being closer to the actress.
20 and 21. 19 continues and he actress lifts her head up so we can see it. the camera does not get any closer. It frezzes in medium shot/close up.
22. the image keeps on flashing, when the actress lifts her head up as if she was looking at the seeling.
23. glitches and flashes between the head moving up and down. At some point the actress touches her heair and puls it down.
24. the glitches stop and the actress touches her face and the fake blood gets printed onto her face (close up)


25. shot of the water slowely disapearing from the bathtube. Close up. The water is strongly red from the bathbomb. The vintage soundtrack is gone. There is a pure silence
26. extreme close up of the hole in the buthtube.
27. from 26 the image deeps into black


Here there are different possibilities of how I would actually want to end it. 

I had a couple of ideas.

1. The image deep into blak
2. The image deep into black and the poem shows up. 
3. The very same sequence from the begining with the positive soundtrack raising in voliume with "the end" written on it.
4.  The very same sequence from the begining with the positive soundtrack raising in voliume with the poem. 

I do not know which one I like more yet, but here is the version with the sequence from the beginging of the film. "roughly". 


I quite like how it looks like. I also feel like it would keep some kind of continuity between each film.


Props (at the location)
  • fake blood
  • flowers
  • light changing duck
  • makeup - lip gloss
  • a book
  • candles
  • bath bomb 
THE ONES THAT I HAVE
Props (in the studio)
  • book
  • flowers
  • scissors
  • fake blood 
  • table
  • black material 
THE ONES THAT I HAVE
Makeup and costume (at the location)
  • wet makeup with vibrant eyeshadow
  • wet hair
  • maybe fake blood
  • naked
Makeup (at the studio)
  • smudged makeup
  • wet hair
  • naked
  • fake blood
I was going to buy fake blood from a costume store, but I like to make things myself. It makes me feel like it is more meaningfull. I also like to have a full control over things that I do therefore I do not have to depend on certain objects or situations.

The fake blood is usually a red water, where blood is much more thick and dense. I tried to think of what ingredients I could possibly use to make it work. I thought of honey and glue, but that did not seem like the best idea.
I was making some pancakes and when I was looking if the cake is ready, I thought that the consistency of it is just perfect for blood.

I used some water and flower. I mixed it together to make the perfect consistency and then I added some red and blue food colouring to it. To check if the colour is right I put some on my hand, and it looked just right.

















Makeup moodboard




 For the makeup, I wanted it too look wet and bright, so it links mor with the idea of water. I was greatly inspiref by the music video for "without love" by Alice Glass which I mention here: http://unit8annaolesinska.blogspot.co.uk/2018/04/the-plan.html

I looked at some videos/makeup tutorials to learn how to get this kind of a look. 


▼△


▼△



They all seemed to use a clear lip gloss on top of their eyeshadow, so I decided to do the same. 
At first I tried to draw a red line on my model's eyelid. I was cerious if maybe eyeliner could work, but  i was not so happy with it. At first I placed some pinky/red eye shadow on her eyelid, because I wanted to have some background colour. 
















From there, I decided to use a red lipstick. I felt that it would be much more vibrant that only eyedhadow. I wanted it to stand out and also have the link to the blood. Then I added some lip gloss on top of that to make it look wet. It looked really nice, but it felt like it needed something extra. I decided to use gold paint on my models eyebrows. To complete the look I aded the lip gloss on my model's lisp as well.
















add the other photos


The other reason, why I decided to go for the red colour was its meaning. 

Symbolism of RED: 

  • blood
  • heart
  • fire
  • warmth 
  • passion
  • love
  • courage
  • sex
  • danger
  • action
  • determination 
  • energy
  • power
  • enthusiasm
  • confidence 

http://www.color-wheel-pro.com/color-meaning.html
https://www.bourncreative.com/meaning-of-the-color-red/


Red in the world:

  • In China, red is associated with good luck and fortune.
  • In India, a red mark on the forehead is said to bring good luck.
  • To the Hindu, red symbolizes joy, life, energy, and creativity.
  • Red amulets were worn in many cultures to prolong life.
  • In Singapore, the color red traditionally symbolizes joy.
  • In the old Chinese folklore of the Nian, people believed in the protective power of the color red.
http://www.sensationalcolor.com/color-meaning/color-meaning-symbolism-psychology/all-about-the-color-red-4344#.WoR0MufLg2w 

 
Location recce



1. I will have to black out the windows using black bing bags
2. The bathroom is very small so I will have to be very cereful with the equipment 

14th April 2018 - I book the TV studio for  whole day on Friday 20th April 2018. It was extremly stressful. I was so worried that I did it wrong. 























Friday the 20th of April 2018 

Call sheet: http://unit8annaolesinska.blogspot.co.uk/2018/04/call-sheet.html

Risk Assessment: I was told that I do not need to make one if I am filming at the College.
Plan of action: http://unit8annaolesinska.blogspot.co.uk/2018/04/plan-of-action.html

Starting 11 am, I am meeting my model and in the TV Studio, I will record shot no. 10,11,12,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24

I am hoping to finish shooting at 3pm.


At first I wanted to use fire to destroy the book. I asked the person responsible for the TV Studio if I can do that, however they send me to another person. That person told me that I could only use space in Theatre Building, but I need to give them risk assessment done on fire. I have looked online to see how one on these looks like :

1. https://www.assured-ltd.co.uk/fire-protection/fire-risk-assessment/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw_ODWBRCTARIsAE2_EvXDQoPZmLt6GM1l-5b5zTywrdUL-H-as5_NTdUmJSIDOMl5O1BVnqQaAtSaEALw_wcB

2. https://www.citation.co.uk/additional-services/fire-safety-services/fire-risk-assessment/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=DSA%20%7C%20Health%20&%20Safety&utm_term=&_bt=200472316487&_bk=&_bm=b&gclid=Cj0KCQjw_ODWBRCTARIsAE2_EvWSfAX4cG3jUeIer2FWz5us26CPR7g84Xdzkb3vHa07gyKraz__WSEaAqKuEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

3. http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/etis16.pdf


I tried to find the second person about the fire, however I was always asking about him at wrong time; he was not picking up his phone or was at his lunch etc.

The time when I could contact him was on Thursday the 19th of April, one day before the shoot.
I looked at all of these websites, and I found some information that I could not possibly collect, before 11 am. These are: Fire route, staff/people at risk. Unable to complete the risk assessment I decided to change my idea and look for other possibilities.

1. wet the book
2. rip the pages off

I did not really like either of those. I decided to rip some of the pages of the book and then place it once again in the book as if I did not do such thing. Then, I would use a book to make wind that would make the pages fly away.

I recorded some experimentation with the book, before I went to the studio to film it.





Here, I tried to use a notebook, however the pages would not move at all or only ever so slightly.
I decided to use something bigger. I took a print of one of my photographs, stick onto a foam board. It did move the pages, but only when it was hit onto the table. It was way too rough and did not work well enough




Next of, I decided to borrow a hair dryer I used it twice with and without a foam board. The time with the board, was just so the wind would come from a more controlled direction.




I liked it much more and I planned to use this technique in the TV Studio.




Michele Parliament
https://www.juxtapoz.com/news/illustration/michele-parliaments-anatomical-worlds/
marco mazzoni
https://www.widewalls.ch/artist/marco-mazzoni/


This is a very brief research done only for the basic planing of what I actually want to produce. Some of the iformations from here will be discussed in more depth, when I am gonna plan and evaluate each of the chapters, in future posts.

Comments